Household Insurance

  • [Thursday] 20th Nov,2014
  • in Daisy
  • View 1081

Break-ins are very rare in Shanghai, although they can happen, especially in first-floor apartments. Most apartments are in complexes that are guarded by some sort of 24 hour security, but nosy neighbours are often the best protection. For renters, the landlord is responsible for any household insurance for protection from fires or water damage. If you protect your valuables within the home, take out a personal goods insurance policy with a Shanghai-based insurer or one from your home country. These plans cover accidental damage or loss of personal possessions. Some may require an individual appraisal of each item. For Shanghai homeowners, household insurance policies should cover water damage and fires, two real dangers to the city's ageing buildings. All insurance providers listed are available and suitable for expats, but only Royal & Sun Alliance and Winterthur offer English-language service.